Playing together with “No Regrets”

Playing together with No Regrets

In her seventh year coaching at Cotter, girl’s soccer coach Marie Barrientos, is vexcited and confident in the direction her team is going in this season.

The team’s record from last year was 3-10-3. However, the formerly younger team has now grown into their role of leaders and major competitors.

“We have much of the same team from last year as we only graduated one senior,” Barrientos said. “Last year we were very young, but the control and composure we played with was far beyond our years.”

This year, the team’s goal is to build on from last year, make a run at the playoffs, and beat their rivals from Plainview/Elgin-Millville (PEM).

In previous years, the girl’s soccer team has ordered t-shirts with their motto for the year. These mottos include sayings such as “Our goal is stopping yours”, “BE HERE”, and “No excuses”. This year’s motto  is “NO REGRETS”.

“No regrets means to leave it all on the field and no matter what kind of day you had or what’s going on in your life.” said sophomore varsity player, Abbey Allen. “You have to leave it at school or home and come to soccer ready to focus on soccer and play with no regrets.”

phpcztsotam

“What I love most about girls soccer is they are a family, on and off the field,”  Barrientos said.

It is known around Cotter that the soccer team is a  close knit group of girls. This year’s varsity team is made up of a group of talented young ladies ranging from freshman to seniors. The connection on and off the field  will only contribute to the team’s success this season.

Some key players for the team have been senior Olivia Flanagan, senior Mary Arnold, and freshman Jordan Rubie.

“Olivia is one of the most versatile players I have coached in a long time.” said Barrientos. “In her career at Cotter she has played every position but goalie. Pressure doesn’t affect her and I often look to her to take control of the game and get us back on track when we lose our passing game.”

phpbwe4jeam

Senior midfielder, Mary Arnold, is another key player for the Ramblers.

“Mary has grown each and every year. She is one of the most physical players on the field and has one of the strongest kicks.”

Jordan Rubie, freshman defender, has also contributed to the team’s early success.

“Jordan is as consistent and solid as they come. As she continues to develop technically, she will be one of the best defenders in the conference going forward.”

Senior striker Jane Koll is the team’s leading scorer.

The Ramblers lost a 1-0 decision to La Crescent on October 6, to move to 4-4-2 in Three Rivers play and the team hopes to catch fire as the playoffs approach.