Flex period book club offers chance to discuss new YA literature

For students who are looking for new material to read and discuss in a casual atmosphere there is a new option at Cotter…Ms. Shriver’s book club.

A few students, who were interested in starting a discussion group for best selling novels, approached Ms. Shriver.  After meeting with them a few times and asking her classes what they would be interested in, Ms. Shriver started a book club.

Students meet every two weeks during flex in Ms. Shriver’s classroom.

Recently, the club had a mix of 9th through 11th graders.

Ms. Shriver usually starts the semester by presenting books that are popular recent Young Adult Literature that have gotten good reviews. She purposely choose novels from a variety og Genres and shares ten or so titles.

“We vote on our top three, compile the rankings and take the most voted on three as our next three novels. We then repeat the process as we need and when we ran out the books to read,” Ms. Shriver said.

Claire Li, a junior, in the group has enjoyed the stories that the group has read.

“I’ve read the book Peplica. It is a combination of two stories, one is clone, and one is normal. what I found surprising is that at the end, the seemingly clone was really a human but the human ends up being a replica. I think it’s fun to read that the story form is new and interesting. The ending is quite good that they both found their true love and get away from danger,” Claire Li said.

The students are all excited about reading. Choco Li said, “I enjoy reading, and I wish to share my thoughts about books with other students.”

The club gives a time to connect with one another and geek out about reading. It also is nice to have a mix of students who normally might not interact with one another, working for a common goal.

Now, the club has a good dynamic and pace down for reading, and the club is really working out great. Interested students should speak with Ms. Shriver after break.