December graduate ready to report for duty

University of Utah student union building

Last week, I attended my older sister, Casey Modjeski’s, Cotter class of ’14, college graduation at the University of Utah’s college of nursing, in Salt Lake City.

Casey’s newly issued diploma

The graduation took place at the Union building and consisted of monitone professors reminiscing on their many years of teaching, speeches from a few of the very driven students, a cheesy slideshow of all the fond memories, and of course, the acknowledgment of each student on stage, the diploma, and the pictures.

It was obvious that no one enjoyed the graduation ceremony more than those who were actually graduating.

“Overall, it was pretty boring,” said Ashlee Modjeski, my younger sister, putting it frankly.

Even though the college graduation is no doubt boring for some and slightly cheesy, it is nevertheless important because it is a symbol for all the young people that will enter the workforce and try to make the world a better place.

“Ever since I was a little girl, I knew I wanted to help people by being a nurse, and had specific interest in labor and delivery. I chose nursing over being a doctor because the nurses are the people that are always interacting with the patient, getting to really know them, and making their experience a better one, even though they do not always get the credit,”  Casey Modjeski said.

It was obvious that like Casey, almost every student that had just graduated was full of passion, motivated, ready to be there for their patients, and to work hard at their newly attainable career.