German police visit Cotter classroom

As a part of the German – American Police Exchange, ten police officers from Bersenbrück, Germany,are visiting Winona, for tours of the city, and a unique cultural exchange.

“This is the only program like this in both the United States and Germany,” Cotter German teacher, Uli Schorn-Hoffert said.

police 2

Every four years, a group of officers from Germany come to Minnesota, starting their journey in New Ulm, and moving on to Winona, and other cities, prior to returning to New Ulm to complete their adventure.

Two years after the German officers visit the U.S., American officers will travel to Germany.  Each group goes to the other country every four years, so there is a two cycle between visits.

During their week long visit to Winona, the German officers did such things as tour the Mississippi River, meet with officers from Winona, participate in a service project for “Super Gavin,” and have a nice meal at the Elk’s Club, all while staying with families in the Winona area.

While the officers spoke in Cotter’s German class, the students had many questions. The first thing that seemed to be on the students’ minds were what the gun laws are like in Germany. In Germany, you can purchase guns, but it is more difficult to do than  in the U.S., due to registry requirements and the need to show proof of purchase and license.

Another question  students asked the officers was whether there are laws similar to the U.S’s Miranda Rights present in Germany. As heard in virtually every cop  movie, “you have the right to remain silent,” the Miranda Rights are a list of rights that criminals have while being arrested. German citizens, it turns out, have a similar set of protections

The students also asked many cultural questions of the German police about life in Deutschland.

One part of this program that everyone seems to like, is that every four years is almost like a reunion for all of the people coming back to thei, “home away from home.”

polizei