RA Profile: Reikel Beichler

Reikel Beichler is one new face you might see around the Residence Center this year. While first glance might indicate a rough and tumble bearded woodsman, there is a lot more to Beichler than meets the eye.

Born and raised as a farm boy outside of Ames, Iowa, Beichler attended Roland-Story High School, where he graduated in 2011. After graduation, he attended Winona’s  Saint Mary’s University. There he is studying History and Social Studies, with plans on a masters degree. He also has been doing orientations and tours around the SMU campus.

He first heard about the opportunity to be a resident assistant to the dormitory residents from Sister Judith Schaefer, president of Cotter Schools. While on the hunt for an apartment for he and his wife, Mary, who also attends SMU, Schaefer encouraged Beichler to apply, believing that they would make a great addition to the Cotter family.

On his first year on the job, he is glad to have an opportunity to work with high school students. It’s a unique way for Beichler to interact. However, he says he struggles with, “punishing students for misbehavior. I don’t like to do it even though I have to.”

Llooking forward onto the year, Beichler has a few goals in mind. He’s keen on more opportunities to connect one on one with students. He believes that the dormitory’s family program, which pairs groups of students with an RA, is the best way to achieve this goal.

For now, however, Reikel is, “happy to be part of the Cotter family and [can’t] wait for the school year ahead!”