The Wizard is Wonderful!

A frightened girl, characters in search of courage, brains, and heart, a cackling witch, flying monkeys and a smiling fireball, Cotter’s production had everything you remember from the Judy Garland movie….and a little extra.

The show was greeted by large, enthusiastic audiences. Friday night’s show had fewer than 13 available seats left for purchase prior to the opening curtain. Each night’s crowd was very interactive with the cast members, through laughter and applause, sighs and “awws”. The entire theater was used throughout the performance, with a yellow brick road trailing down the center aisle.

Director Mark Roeckers stood by to make sure every moment was perfect. Well planned, realistic costumes were either constructed by Mrs. Marek or purchased online. Students and Ms. Tara Welch provided the performance’s music, and Paul Ebner was the cast’s choreographer. Stage crew and lighting/tech included several students.

Over 40 Cotter students worked with Mr. Roeckers through weeks of preparation for the fall musical, The Wizard of Oz.
A final dress rehearsal was held on Thursday, for the junior high and St. Stans’ students. Shows took place Friday and Saturday nights at 7 p.m. and Sunday afternoon at 4:00 p.m., all in the St. Cecilia theater.

It seems that each character was appropriately assigned according to the actor’s natural ability and personality.

Among the most memorable scenes were Dorothy’s (Spitzer) solos, Scarecrow’s (Beyer) enthusiastic dancing, the Wicked Witch’s (Julia Charron) death, and the well choreographerd and performed dances.

The script closely followed the original movie, and many audience members commented on how much of the fun and excitement of the movie the production was able to capture.

Leads Brynn Spitzer, Corey Beyer, Kyle Schneider, and Josh Forst worked through nerves to produce one of Cotter’s best musicals..truly a ‘wonderful’ show!