Cotter’s Spring blood drive a success

The Student Council hosted a spring blood drive, Cotter’s 2nd blood drive of the year, on Monday, March 21 in the Centennial gym from 9:00-3:00.

Student council members helped check people in and hand out snacks, and they were led by two executive members of student council: Megan Morgan and Megan Costello.  Mrs. Megan Nordgren, the student council adviser, also helped organize the event.

From left to right: Student council members Megan Costello, Megan Morgan, and Lily Olstad checking in blood donors.

“Every year, a couple members of the student council get the opportunity to lead blood drives in order to earn a chance to win a Red Cross scholarship.” Megan Costello said. She and Megan Morgan each earned a $750 scholarship from the Red Cross based on the amount of blood that was collected at the two drives.

Student council member Ema Stankova handing out snacks.

This year the drives were more important than ever; the Red Cross is in critical need of blood. In fact, there is a national blood shortage right now. According to the Red Cross website, they are especially in need of O negative blood, O positive blood, and platelets, though all blood is needed right now.

Also, for a limited time only, the Red Cross tested all blood for Covid-19 antibodies. At Cotter’s Blood Drive, 59 people (above 16 years) volunteered to donate blood, and 51 units of blood was collected (above the goal of 46 units).

Vanya Schultz preparing to donate blood at the recent blood drive (Megan Costello)

But collecting so much blood is not always an easy task. “The Red Cross forgot their computer in Eau Claire,” Megan Costello revealed. “So the blood drive started two hours late.”

Thankfully, the Red Cross was able to get their computer as well as several extra staff members to speed things along, so almost everyone who wanted to donate was able to.

Cotter teacher Mrs. Olstad donates blood (Megan Costello)

Even though there was a mishap, the Megans are thinking of organizing a third blood drive. If there is one, Megan Costello encourages everyone who can to donate (generally, those over 16, though the more detailed requirements are found at the Red Cross website).