Not an Ordinary SPA Day

Every day it rings over the announcements, “SPA meets today in room 405, both lunches.” but what is SPA exactly?

The acronym “S.P.A.” stands for Students Promoting Awareness, but what are the students promoting exactly?

“We don’t focus on just one specific issue, we want to address as many as possible throughout the year” Adviser and teacher Mary Hansel-Parlin said. “We’ve already addressed a couple this year and the students are coming up with creative ideas to help these causes.”

One of the main issues SPA has tackled this year is world hunger. A couple weeks ago they organized the “hunger meal”, a meal that was put on during both lunches to simulate the experience of what it’s like to live with hunger.

“The hunger meal had a pretty good turnout this year,” senior Alex Strelow said. “The food included crackers, grapes, and small cups of water, it really made me think about the hungry and what they have to face every day.”

Along with hunger, SPA has also addressed issues such as domestic abuse, fair-trade practice, and teen obesity over the course this semester. They hope cover more issues after Christmas vacation and more done throughout the second semester.

If you want to join SPA, they are still inviting people to come and help out. SPA meets in the prayer room every “Friday, both lunches”.