Mr. Whipple helps Ramblers reach higher

image(1)Travis Whipple has worked  hard to raise the bar for Cotter athletics and activities in his short time on the job.  Mr. Whipple took over for Jenny Carpenter who moved with her husband, and fellow Cotter teacher, Bruce,  to Montana last spring.

Originally from Woodbury, Minn., Whipple attended Hill-Murray high school. He was a gifted basketball player and earned the opportunity to play at the college level. He attended Winona State University where as a point guard and defensive stopper he played in three Division II national championship games, winning two of them. The WSU fans remember PA announcer Brice Wilkinson’s signature “Whipple with the triple!” phrase echoing through the rafters after he made a 3-point shot.

Mr. Whipple learned about the job opportunity through his wife and jumped at the chance to become Cotter’s activities director.

“First and foremost I want to enhance the student experience at Cotter. I’m here for the students and that is number one. I have goals that will help us to create the model program of excellence that our campus, alumni and community will take pride in,” says Whipple, “I certainly have short term goals for our activities department.”

Those goals include the followin:

1. Maintain a combined 3.2 GPA for students participating in Athletics.
  2. Be recognized in the top 100 of the MSHSL Challenge Cup Standings.
  3. Increase community awareness while also increasing the number of donors and contributors to the activities department by 25%.
  4. Create one or more activities per month that enriches campus life and creates a stronger community.
  5. Have every student 7-12 participate in at least one activity, club, sport or other program.

When asked about his future goals, Whipple responded, “I want to do the best job I possibly can… right here at Cotter. I’m not looking ahead but instead focusing on my current role. I will work hard everyday to make the experience better for students. I hope that together we can build a model program of excellence that will continue developing passionate champions.”

Mr. Whipple is taking over leadership of development for Cotter and WACS, but will continue in his role as AD through the school year.