Meet the Math Team

Credit: Sang-Hyuk Lee

There’s an activities powerhouse that is usually under the radar at Cotter.

The  math team has had major success over the years in section and state meets. The success has continued this year as the team won  the Hiawatha division for yet another year. No victory is an easy victory but this team was in it to win it.

Eric Erthum, coach of this year’s math team, was very proud of their performance at sections. “Everyone did great.” Erthum said. “It came as no surprise to me either. These kids are great, all of them. I couldn’t be more proud as a coach than I am right now.”

Erthum isn’t exaggerating, either. This year’s math team hasn’t just excelled in competition, they’ve also been great teammates to each other.

“Even if one of us doesn’t do well, we always cheer them on anyway.” said junior Brennan Schaffner, who joined the math team two years ago as a freshman. “We’re basically a family, nobody’s left out in what we do as a team.”

The high school math team isn’t the only math team finding success at Cotter. The junior high math team, led and coached by Cotter math teacher Sandra Hohnstadt, took third place in their final meet of the year and finished in fourth place overall for the season. Three of the students on the team finished the season ranked top ten in individual scoring. Hunter Ramsden finished fifth, Arielle Nance finished tied for sixth, and Britney Meier finished tied for eighth.

2014-2015_JH_Math_Team

The high school math team includes Jun Chu, Michael Deng. Cloud Hua, Sung-Woo Jang, Jin Kyu Kim, Sammy Knight, Laura Koo, Sang-Hyuk Lee, Mikaela Livingston. Albert Oh, Gloria Qiaoyang, Brennan Schaffner, Eric Seo, Eileen Shin Alex Walechka, Sean Xue.