Spotlight: Pedro Escobar

A fresh face grinning in the halls of Cotter this fall semester belongs to Colombian native Pedro Duque Escobar, joining the Cotter community this semester as a senior. Coming from the city of Medellin, Pedro is being hosted by Cotter students Kevin and Mark Rivers during his time at Cotter.

Last spring, Escobar was a high school graduate and college-bound teen. Already finished with high school in Colombia, Pedro wanted to experience a new culture and landscape before beginning his college education at EAFIT University in Medellin. Pedro was introduced to Cotter High School and became set on trekking to the winterlands of Minnesota for five months to attend an extra semester of high school.

Pedro, also known around campus as Peter, has been drinking in his new environment in the biggest gulps possible.  Pedro wasn’t sure what to expect when he arrived a month ago, since he hadn’t been in the U.S. since his early childhood,. What he found were “awesome people” that “all seemed to know (his) name”.

Blending seamlessly into the Cotter social scene, Pedro feels that “the Cotter community opened to (him) immediately… (he) loves the access to both teachers and (his) peers”.

While Pedro is all smiles when talking to other students, the youngest sibling of two older sisters is actually a bit shy and extremely humble. Asking him about his greatest talents and skills quickly led to a red face and broad grin.

“I am most proud of my soccer playing”, said Pedro, who currently plays on the Cotter soccer team. “I have been playing (soccer) all my life, and I love it more than anything”, said Pedro, before quickly adding, “except of course for my family”.

Peter’s interests cross cultures as seamlessly as he does. An avid follower of FIFA soccer, Pedro also loves jamming to American hip hop and European classical music, as well as Colombian chart toppers.

Self-described as a “very hard worker”, Pedro continues to immerse himself in life in Winona. Still awestruck by the number of strangers that will come up to him in the hallways and call him by name with a warm smile, Pedro is sure that his months here at Cotter will be “ones to remember forever”.