Ramblers receive Art Awards

Two Cotter students recently received recognition in an art contest open to students across Minnesota.

Cotter seniors Sunah Shim and Hannah Going have placed in the Minnesota Scholastic Art Awards. Shim entered a mixed media painting and received the Silver Key Award. Last year she also placed at the event, receiving the Gold Key Award. Going entered a water color self portrait and received an honorable mention.

The Scholastic Art Awards is a state-wide contest and it is the biggest art competition in the state of Minnesota. Schools from all around Minnesota participate and every year it has thousands of applicants.

The categories are gold key, silver key, and honorable mention. Gold key participants are eligible for national competition and recognition. It is a very  prestigious award with a cash reward included.

Sunah Shim’s category was mixed media. She combined painting and collage with other medium’s in a piece based off a Charlie Chaplin quote.

sunah-shim

Hannah Going’s water color portrait.

Hannah Going

This year three Cotter students entered the competition.

“It is a contest I have had students enter for the last five years and they have done well,” art teacher Mrs. Forney said.

Sunah Shim has taken all of the art classes that Mrs. Forney teaches, and she has applied to a number of art institutes and universities. She has the choice of several of the best college opportunities next year.

Hannah Going is a new student at Cotter and is currently doing independent study with Mrs. Forney and is also participating in her art classes.