Cotter’s Nordic Skiers

For winter sports Cotter offers basketball and weight lifting, however, there are options to co-op with Winona High for hockey, wrestling or Nordic skiing.

There are a number of Cotter students on the Nordic ski team including Frances Young, Abby Owen, Grace Menke, Julia Greshik, James Greshik, and Elaine Zehr.

Cotter skiers: Frances Young (left), Kylie Modjeski, and Abby Owen preparing for race.

There is no Cotter student that knows the ski team better, though, than Frances Young, a fourth year senior. She has been on the team since the time she was a eighth grader, and has seen the team change throughout the years.

“I first joined the Nordic ski team because my siblings were on it, my parents were very involved, and I also had a few friends on the team, including Jake Williams,” said Young.

According to Frances, there has been some notable changes, such as trees being cut down for more trails at St. Mary’s, new lighting on the trails, and coaching changes; specifically this year the head coach is Jacob Tiechrow instead of Jason Mork, and new students continuously joining the program.

St. Mary’s ski trails with new addition of lighting.

Although the ski team can be intense at times, it is definitely a team that has a lot of fun and makes good memories.

“Some of my favorite times on the ski team include escaping one day and going on the most exciting trail: Rattlesnake, going down the steepest hill called Suicide, and having a good time on the bus rides,” said Young.

Abby Owen is another skier that has been on the ski team for a while, three years, and she completely agrees with Young that the team has given her some great memories.

“I really loved just being able to mess around my first year, meet so many new people, and blast music on the trails,” said Owen.

Group of both Cotter and WSHS skiers having fun on the trails: a typical day.

Another student from Cotter that is currently on the ski team is senior Julia Greshik, who joined this season.

“It felt a little weird being from Cotter, but it helped that there were other Cotter kids already skiing, and overall the team is very inviting. It definitely feels like we were all one team, even though we come from different schools,” said Greshik.

According to skiers from Cotter, no matter if they have been on the team for many years or just one, the Nordic ski team is inviting, a great way to meet new people, and full of exciting and hilarious memories.