Spring play to be performed this weekend

And now for something completely different.  No, it’s not Monty Python, it’s the Cotter spring play.

” Just Another High School Play” is based on numerous short sketches tied together into the one performance. The 72 page script seems to allude to  every high school drama ever written. It also offers a portion of history and improvisation which may bring a smile even to the most serious face.

The plot begins when on the day of their first rehearsal, a group of inexperienced, high school actors are left on their own by their drama teacher, as he gets bored waiting for any of them to finally show up for practice. None of them knows what the play was supposed to be about, so they decide to play a little bit of each one they can find the scripts for.

According to the website histage.com,  it is a comedy that covers almost every angle of the typical high school play. It is set up for minimum ten to the maximum forty actors plus drama teacher, which makes the piece playable for almost any cast.

The script is also very adjustable. “We produced a 60 minutes of this play for our regional drama festival with great success”, said a directorfrom Broadway’s High School.

The director of another community high school states: “We really enjoyed the flexibility of doing as much or as little as needed for the set of the costumes.”

Probably the strongest selling point of the drama is that it could be played by hundred of actors and casts and, although they would follow just the same script,  each of them would perform it on their own way. The structure offers numerous opportunities to improvise and use the imagination.

Cotter High School students see the diversity of the “Just Another high School Play” in a positive way: “ It is a little bit odd, but I think it will be interesting to the audience, since it often offers the chance to participate even to them.” said Rosemary Flanagan, a junior, who in the play is the assistant to the stage director.

“It is definitely good experience since it is very different from anything we have played,” said senior Amelia Nichols. When asked to present his own opinion about the project, Gabe Tullis laughs: “ I like it! Why? Because it is fun!”  “ This a a comedy which can be enjoyed by anybody!”, closes Amanda Havener, senior.

“Just Another High School play” has built its popularity at the international range, gaining the hearts of audiences and cats all over the States: “It was a huge success. Several audience members told me that it was the funniest show they had ever seen.”(G.A., Director, Prairie View H.S., Lacygne, KS)  “We loved this play! The kids thoroughly enjoyed the scenes and the audience laughed from beginning to end. The way the play is written it is possible to have a successful production without having all your cast at every practice. Sets and costumes were very simple.” –(J.K. Columbus High School, Absarokee, MT).

At Cotter High School,” Just Another High School” will run Friday, March 28 and Saturday, March 29, at St. Cecilia Theatre at 7 pm. For those looking for a relaxing and enjoyable evening,  this montage of all high school comedies promises a great opportunity to slow down and have some fun after the long week at work or school.