Students want to bring back the green house

Have you ever wondered what is inside the greenhouse? the green house is the pentagonal building that is on the west end of Roger Bacon and connected to one of the classrooms.

Well, according to Mr. Haun, the answer is not much. He says that Cotter’s greenhouse is not opening up to any students soon.

“It would be difficult for it to be approved in the future because the fire code is not up to date,” Haun said.

Although the greenhouse is not allowed for student use, it is not completely useless because some teachers and staff, including Mr.Haun, use it to grow their own plants for personal use or to use it to see how things decompose for science classes. In the greenhouse, Mr. Haun grows tomato plants and other ingredients for his salsa.  This is following a tradition started by former teacher Mr. Nitti who had that classroom prior to Mr. Haun.

I would like to see the green house used by students and would be happy to see it become one of Cotter’s programs

— Jerry Yang

Although the greenhouse will not be open in the near future, many are interested in the idea of it opening back up a program.

” I would like to see the green house used by students and would be happy to see it become one of Cotter’s programs,” said Cotter senior Jerry Yang.

He also says that would participate in it if it were available.

“It would be interesting to grow flowers and food,” added sophomore Joe Danielson.

If it were open to students, he would “like to learn how to grow flowers and different types of plants.  I would be involved if it were for fun, but Ii it were a class, then no.”

“I would love to participate in a green house program,” Linnea McColl, senior, said.. She would like to learn “How to grow flowers and it’s important for people to learn mother nature”

“It would be cool and awesome for it to open up to students,” sadi senior Claire Nichols.

“I would like to learn how to manage your own garden and grow your own produce. Also how to use plants and herbs for cooking. I would also like to learn how to make aloe for sunburns.”