Construction begins on Cotter Elementary

Winona Post

Artist’s rendering of Lorretto Hall

Cotter Schools has announced that the start of work on construction of a new kindergarten through grade six elementary school at the site of Loretto Hall at the west end of campus.

The school will have a capacity of 600 students  Cotter staff and faculty, Schwab Construction, and CWR Architecture Design Groups have had regular meetings taking place weekly. The majority of the renovation is being covered through the support of local individuals who are interested in helping Cotter grow closer to its goal of one campus for all students.

“We are so fortunate to have incredibly generous benefactors who believe in Catholic education and academic excellence, and they are willing to fully financially support this renovation and construction project,” Mrs. Fitch, Cotter President, said.

The projected completion date is in August 2023.

Lorretto Hall (Mckenna Laschenski)

A new elementary school will provide great classrooms and K-6 with finally be one building. This will be the first time K-6 will be in one building, and currently, 5-6 students are on the cotter campus.

Current WACS/St. Stan’s principal Pat Bowlin thinks that the new school will bring new opportunities for Cotter students.

“I can’t wait to have high school students in our classrooms reading and helping our students. I think it has the chance to promote the importance of early elementary education and hopefully it will spur some of our students to pursue a career in teaching,” Mr. Bowlin said.

I can’t wait to have high school students in our classrooms reading and helping our students. I think it has the chance to promote the importance of early elementary education and hopefully it will spur some of our students to pursue a career in teaching.

— Mr. Bowlin

A primary benefit of moving schools is that additional classrooms will be created for the band, music, art, STEM,  large group meeting rooms, cafeteria, gym, library, and many outdoor play areas and green spaces. Moving schools will allow some efficiencies in transportation and provide an opportunity for academic programs between the various grade levels. A challenge is they will have to pack everything up and move around a lot of stuff.

“I am not sure. It’s a great building with a lot of tradition so I am hopeful it will be used to help people in some way. St. Stan’s has a great gym, classrooms, and access to a cafeteria and church without walking outside. Hopefully, a creative person will buy the building and use it to help our community,” Mr. Bowlin said.