Spitzer and Schneider named AAA winners

One of the most prestigious awards at any member school of the Minnesota State High School League is the AAA award.  The award recognizes students who have excelled in arts, academics, and athletics.

This Year’s nominees from Cotter are:

Girls: Leah Koll, Calli Marg, Brynn Spitzer & Boys: Matt Masyga, Sam French, Kyle Schneider

Kyle Schneider and Brynn Spitzer were chosen as finalists and will represent Cotter High School at sub-section 3. Kyle Schneider has advanced to the regional level.

Brynn Spitzer is the daughter of Rick and Jami Spitzer. She is an honor student with a 4.0 GPA.

Brynn has participated in Cotter’s band and choir programs. Her choir participation includes Concert Choir, Show Choir, Divas, UW Eau Claire Honors Choir, Three Rivers All Conference Choir, Minnesota State High School League Solo-Ensemble Music Contest:  solo superior, ensembles superior. She has had the lead in several school musicals.  Brynn has been a Peer Helper, and is a member of Cotter’s National Honor Society.  She has been a varsity contributor to the track team since her freshman year, and has been a varsity athlete since 8th grade on Cotter’s cross country team.

“I think that I have benefited from being involved in so many things by learning time management and how to work with others. Being involved has given me many opportunities that I would not have been given. I think that if you have time management, you know how to work around things and how to schedule things. Also, being on a team has a big affect on a person. Playing/running/studying/singing with others is not the same as being by yourself. You learn to do things for your team.”

Kyle Schneider is the son of Ron and Mary Schneider. He is an honor student with a 3.8 GPA.

“I have gotten a lot better with time management and developed a good variety of skills.  The things I have improved in through arts, athletics, and academics and have developed skills that are used for enjoyment as well as finding success,” Schneider says.

“Time management is very important, and you have to learn how to pick out what needs to be done first.  A lot of times, when you are so busy, you need to realize you simply won’t have time for everything, so something has to sacrifice.  Prioritization is very important because you need to decide what is most important and what will have to be let go.  Sometimes this is an activity, but for me, it has usually been rest, sleep, and down time.  I’m okay with this though because I’d rather be busy than bored”

Kyle has been a member of Cotter’s marching, concert, and jazz bands earning much recognition for his leadership and performance abilities. He has had a leading role in Cotter’s musicals for 3 years. Kyle has earned the rank of Eagle Scout.  He is a member of Cotter’s National Honor Society. Kyle participated in baseball, and was part of a track relay team that took 4th place at the state level. Kyle was a varsity participant on Cotter’s cross country team. He has been a varsity athlete on the swim team for 5 years, competing at the state level as a junior.

“It feels amazing to have received this prestigious Triple “A” award, and I have many people to thank.  To name a few, I have benefited an incredible amount from my caches and parents,” Schneider states “However, I wouldn’t be anywhere without gifts from God or the drive to develop them for His glory.  It’s an awesome feeling to be able to do a great variety of things God has allowed me to do.”

“I feel very honored about being a AAA winner. It told me that the “Cotter staff” has faith in me, and they support me in what I do,” states Spitzer.

For many students at Cotter, the AAA Award is the honor most students strive towards. After asking if there’s any advice that could be given to students who wish to be given this honor, Spitzer finished, “Stay involved. There are so many opportunities that Cotter gives it’s students, so go out and try something new. Being involved in various things has made me a more responsible person. I love being busy because it makes me feel better whenever I am having a hard day. I cannot stress enough that keeping up on your studies is important. Academics are very important but being in activities makes it a way more memorable high school experience.”