James Miller: bringing gusto to Gustavus

How many James Miller’s does it take to put on a concert?  At a recent Cotter assembly the answer was two.

James Miller, son of Cotter English teacher Jim Miller, brought the Gustavus Adolphus orchestra to Winona for a performance in the St. Cecilia theater.  Since graduating from WSHS, James has buit quite   a successful career in music.

phpSQcTJlAM

As a high school student, James played in both the St.Mary’s University and Winona Municipal bands. He also attended the St.Olaf summer band camp his freshman year and was absolutely hooked on music.

Miller earned his doctorate in conducting from the University of Minnesota. Prior to that, he attended Ithaca College for his Masters degree  and he did his undergraduate work at St.Olaf where he earned his bachelor’s degree.

In 2009, James got a job as the Assistant Professor and Director of Wind Studies at the University of Massachusetts (UMass) in Amherst, Mass. He also led the the wind ensemble, symphonic band, summer conducting institute, and taught graduate and undergraduate conducting while there. The UMass wind bands went to the College Band Directors National Association Eastern Division Conference twice and performed with many notable artists while there.

He stayed at UMass until 2014, where he was given the opportunity to move back to the Midwest and be closer to home, getting a chance to direct the Gustavus Wind Orchestra.

“James learned a lot during his five years at UMass.” said his father, Jim. “Gustavus offered a chance to move back to the Midwest and be part of a great music tradition there. His wife, Heidi, also works at Gustavus and they enjoy the small school/town setting St. Peter, Minn.”

One of James’ biggest influences in music were the opportunities he had in Winona.”The Senior High and Cotter have great musical programs.” James said. “But I also must thank Dr. Mendyk at Winona State for giving me lessons and really helping me learn about music instead of just playing notes on a page.”

James also has a lot of other interests outside of music including golfing with friends and family and tending to his garden at home. “They both relax me unless I’m not hitting the ball right.” Miller said jokingly.