Mr. Horton: Teacher of the Year?

Mr. Horton: Teacher of the Year?

Mr. Peter Horton has been named as a finalist for a “Teacher of the Year” award by the Minnesota Independent School Forum.

The program recognizes remarkable teachers, academic programs, staff and volunteers in Minnesota. Mr. Horton, a a long-time Cotter teacher and current substitute was nominated for his contribution. Winners will be announced Sunday, April 26, at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul.

When being congratulated on his nomination at a school assembly,  Mr. Horton was asked to say a few words. To the crowd’s surprise and delight, he started off asking advice on what style he should use to deliver his acceptance speech if he won the prize. Mr. Horton presented four different styles including as pope, as country hick, as an oscar winner, and a winner on the Price Is Right.

Mrs. Tammy Drazkowski, the Cotter Science teacher, is the person who submitted the nomination.

“Mr. Horton has a strong passion for teaching and for the students that he teaches,” she said, “Not only does he present information on history and geography to his students, he asks students to share their own histories. He teaches history to many of Cotter’s international students and celebrates their cultures with all of his classes, as well as sharing the culture and history of America with them.”

A Cotter student who had Mr. Horton for seventh and eighth grade history wrote: “He is a very calm, but demanding teacher who cares about all of the students on a personal level, but also expects a lot in the classroom as well.”

Mr. Peter Horton has been a teacher for 44 years and spent 42 years teaching in Catholic schools.

“Peter Horton is an outstanding person who truly cares about students and families. He is a man of faith who has been a wonderful example to staff and students alike,” said Principal Dave Forney. “He is very deserving of such an honor because of his great dedication to faith, families and his work. His life is a positive testament and example to all.”

horton 1