New NHS members inducted

19 Cotter students were inducted as new members in the National Honor Society (NHS). A leadership ceremony and prayer service for the new members took place on April 24, 2015 in the St. Cecilia Theatre.

They are Bryant Gernes, Aidan Beckman, Mikaela Livingstone, Jessica Kohner, Jane Koll, David French, Samantha Knight, Albert Oh, Ryan Ortega, Yoori Jo, Sam Young, Nick Beranek, Jonah Spiten, Logan Spitzer, Alexandra Arnold, Tim Welch (missing- Cade Espy, Laura Koo, and Jin Kim.

National Honor Society is  a well established national organization established to recognize outstanding high school students.  “More than just an honor roll, NHS serves to honor those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, leadership, service, and character. These characteristics have been associated with membership in the organization since its beginning in 1921, ” says the NHS website.

At Cotter, NHS members mainly conduct some activities and do decorating. Zach Bailey and Rosemary Flanagan, two senior members in NHS, said they do Penny Wars every year to raise money for charitable causes and they also decorated Roger Bacon building for Christmas and Halloween. They also did planned the Halloween costume contest, donate Christmas trees to the tree festival and work on other volunteer events.

The new members are  excited to join NHS. Laura Koo, a sophomore, said: “I’m honored to be part of NHS members. My parents were pleased when they heard I became an NHS member.”

Albert Oh, another new member, said:”I was really excited to hear that I got accepted to the NHS, because my sister, a college student, said it was really fun at her school.”

NHS members must complete an application process, have a high gpa and be approved by a committee of faculty members.