New band director quickly making his mark

jimmyk (1)Mr. Jim Knutson, previously an adjunct percussion instructor at Cotter High School, has found a new, more permanent home at Cotter.

In July,2015, it was revealed to Cotter students and families that Mr. Knutson had accepted the role of Cotter High School band director.

Mr. Knutson came to Cotter after over 25 years of teaching music in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.  His longest tenure at a program was at Onalaska high, where he taught for over 15 years. Taking over the position of high school band director from Mr. Rick Peters, Mr. Knutson has already stacked his plate high with activities. He currently directs both the concert and symphonic bands, the jazz band, the pep band,  a percussion ensemble, and will be directing the summer marching band program in June with the assistance of Andy Hadaway.

First impressions are high with senior band students, who have had five different high school instructors since the beginning of their high school careers.

“He really challenges us to grow our musicianship,” said senior trumpet Brennan Schaffner.

“Mr. Knutson has a tough job coming in, but he is doing great,” said senior saxophone Corey Piper.

An avid fan of all things musical, Mr. Knutson stated that his personal favorite tunes to jam to on the way to school from Onalaska are “Definitely some Count Bassie, some Duke Ellington… I love world music, and I love Latin jazz too. Can’t get enough!”

One quarter into the school year and Mr. Knutson is feeling right at home here at Cotter.

“I have tried to make the transition as smooth as possible. I don’t want to change too many things; I don’t really think too many things need changing to (be great).”

When asked what aspect of Cotter was most appealing, Mr. Knutson responded, “My favorite part is the spiritual background- it really keeps (the program) centered on all the right things.”

Already looking towards the future of the program, Mr. Knutson stated that “(I) would love to see (more) students coming to Cotter, and more students getting involved in marching band. Maybe even get a second jazz band started.”

Junior percussionist Jane Koll, who worked with Mr. Knutson last year during his time as a percussion instructor, said “He knows his stuff, and he really loves his music. He is very passionate about his work.”

Mr. Knutson has been vocal about his love for his golden retriever, Sadie, often during rehearsals with his morning class of juniors and seniors. When asked about the rest of his background, he told of his wife, Kim, his two daughters, Clara and Ella, and his two stepsons. Before beginning his teaching career, Mr. Knutson earned degrees at Luther College and the University of Iowa.

Acting on a desire to play music around the world, Mr. Knutson has either directed or performed in five European countries, China, Canada, and Mexico. He has been a tympanist for an international touring orchestra and steel-pan player travelling with his own steel band, among other activities.

Despite taking on a full load here at Cotter, Mr. Knutson still finds time to pursue his other musical interests. He is a percussionist for the Lacrosse Symphony Orchestra, director of two bell choirs for area Lutheran churches, leader and percussionist of his own Latin jazz ensemble, director of the La Crosse area All-Stars high school jazz ensemble, and percussion coach for the Lacrosse Youth Orchestra.

Despite these La Crosse ties, Mr. Knutson has found a new home at Cotter. His optimistic attitude and smiling face are helping to bring momentum into a band program that has been searching for continuity. His humorous attitude resonates well with students inside of the classroom.

“He is really into Hawaiian shirt day on Fridays, and I think its great,” said senior trumpet Tim Demarais, who frequently participates in wearing the distinctive shirts along with Mr. Knutson and others.

With his  attitude, experience, and vision, the Cotter band program is on solid ground.