Student Artist Competes in Chicago

Cotter senior Nikita Budkov recently traveled to the American Academy of Art in Chicago to compete for a scholarship to the school for next year.

On November 16, Nikita took a train to Chicago for the opportunity to earn a scholarship through the Senior Scholarship Competition at the American Academy of Art. Five high school seniors are awarded a half-semester of tuition, two are awarded a one semester tuition, and the grand prize is the full two semesters free.

image (7) (1)

Contestants registered, then headed to show some of the artwork they could produce. There were two sessions, the first was figure drawing and the second showcased still life drawing. All the art is created on site, rather than students awards being based on a previously created portfolio.  Judges will decide the results on a later date, and Nikita hopes to receive the result of the competition some time in January.

Nikita hopes to attend the American Academy of Art because he “doesn’t really like modern art and this school is more traditional for me. The price is decent, hopefully I will get a scholarship to lower it even more.”image (2) (1)

He also enjoys the atmosphere of downtown Chicago.  “I liked the buildings and the cool people there.”