McNally Smith – Taking on Cotter High School

The McNally Smith SKA ensemble hangs out on stage before performing.

For some, music is a chance to rock out. For others, music is a career. For students at the McNally Smith College of Music, music is all of this and more.

The McNally Smith Ska band and indie ensembles visited Cotter High School last Friday to jam out with tracks like “Take on Me” by A-Ha and “Come on Eileen” by Dexys Midnight Runners. The groups were composed of both students and faculty from the college. They were on tour around the tri-state area as part of the school’s career-training program.

Cotter students felt the over-the-top energy brought out by the charismatic vocalists and blaring horn line as they listened in the St. Cecilia theater.

“The group was really into the music and they were all really good at their instruments” said junior Ryan Ortega. “They were pretty great, [especially] the singer dancing all over the place.”

The students of McNally Smith are constantly practicing and performing with the school’s professors as part of a training program to get them ready for the fast-paced music industry. The college focuses exclusively on music in its coursework, offering students the chance to study music business, performance, and production.

20160429_153129 (1)
Freshman Danny Zanger of the McNally Smith College of Music smiles for a picture.

McNally Smith freshman Danny Zanger, a keyboard player and vocalist for the indie rock ensemble, discussed his feelings about his year at the college.

“Its incredible. I was never at a place until I came to McNally [where] I was so surrounded, enriched by music” says Zanger.

Zanger talked about his experience connecting with other students through music despite language barriers.

“We have a lot of foreign students that come from around the world… but as soon as you get in a room with them and play some music, it just clicks and you feel like you are really talking to them.”

Students at McNally Smith say that they practice upwards of six hours a day, and that all of their classes revolve around music and the music industry.

“To do what we love, day in and day out, is just awesome” says Zanger.

Both the teachers and students of McNally Smith encouraged Cotter students to check out the school, offering promotional information and links to more of their music.

The McNally Smith College of Music sent two ensembles to visit Cotter High School. The groups played with energy and passion, definitely encouraging Cotter students to get excited about music.