Badminton anyone? Students convince administration to start club

“Well, why don’t we start a club?”

Chenyi (Claire)Li, Linghua  (Alinna) Wang, and Yangdong (Charlotte) Liao have puts their heads together and formed a new badminton club at Cotter.

Claire had been working out at the gym and saw several students playing badminton almost every day. Sometimes, she would play matches with her friends, too. She then thought that maybe she could start a club for those who are interested in badminton, so that these students can regularly have a place to enjoy playing the sport.

Claire Li posts announcement for the club

Claire then talked to Alinna and Charlotte about her idea; they were excited because both of them also have memorable experiences with badminton.

Alinna was in the badminton club last year, and she usually plays with her family members. She believes that playing badminton relaxes her body and mind. Charlotte loves badminton. she learned how to play badminton when she was at elementary school.Badminton is more popular in Asian countries than it is  currently in the U.S.

Alinna posting fliers
Alinna posting fliers

In September, the girls reached out to Mr. Whaley about their idea. Mr. Whaley said he would love to help them to start a badminton club.

“I think this is a wonderful idea; badminton is a tremendous sport and a big challenge. It looks easy to hit the little bird, but it is not,” Mr. Whaley said.  He sometimes uses badminton as an activity in his  P.E. classes.

Last week, the three girls designed a leaflet for the club. On Friday, they held a meeting with the students who were interested in this club at the dorms to discuss how would the club work.

“We will practice twice a week, on Friday and Saturday. We will use one for practice and the other for tournaments. For now, Alinna and I will be responsible for the general affairs,” Claire said.

They hope that members will enjoy the club, and more people will join them.

Also, they hope that the club is successful and will keep running after they graduate. Charlotte and Alinna are seniors and Claire is a junior.

The first practice will be held in the small gym at 7 pm on Friday. Everyone who is interested in badminton is welcome.

club members Chris, Lucy, and Alinna discuss how the club will operate