Schaffner and Shim named AAA winners

Schaffner and Shim named AAA winners

Cotter seniors Brennan Schaffner and Sunah Shim were recognized as the winners of the school’s MSHSL AAA award, and will move on to the sectional competition. The award was announced in an all school assembly on February 11.

The AAA award recognizes students who excel in academics, art, and athletics, as well as demonstrating strength of character.

Both Schaffner and Shim were selected out of Cotter’s pool of nominees as standout students, athletes, and artists.

To be eligible for nomination, a student is required to be a Senior,  at least have a 3.0 cumulative GPA, and participate and stand out in arts and athletics. 

Shane Hedeen, Cotter’s athletic director, expresses his gratitude for Schaffner and Shim, as well as giving advice to those who are looking to get nominated their Senior year:

“I think the award’s purpose is to highlight students who have found balance and success in these three realms. First and foremost comes academics. Our committee at Cotter only considers students in the top portion of cumulative GPA for their gender for our nominees. Without academics, a candidate takes themselves out of the running. With the good grades then comes finding what they love and enjoy, and working to excel in it. Mastery in anything takes years, whether you are a singer or a basketball player. All in all, hard work and passion in all three realms.”

Both Shaffner and Shim will move on to be evaluated and possibly selected by the MSHSL Committee and its affiliates.

Once selected, the winners of each region shall attend a banquet, in conjunction with the March Boys’ State Basketball Tournament, where four students, two boys and two girls of both class A and AA, are announced as the winners of the award and will receive a four-year $1,000 scholarship.

There’s something special about those who achieve nomination from Cotter.

“Cotter is a place where the nominees we choose each year are all very highly qualified. Most years (like this one) there are more that don’t quite make the cut of the committee that are wonderful candidates as well. Some schools would be lucky to find one kid that was highly qualified, and Cotter does a great job of having many that are every year, ” Hedeen said.

php3nAXAqPM