Riverdale season 2: “Danger All Around”

A basic formula in television and film is to take an old story and give it an update for today’s tastes and that is what is happening with  Riverdale.

Riverdale is a television show that is based on the old comic book series called Archie that started in the late 1930’s. It was also a Saturday morning cartoon in the 1970s.  The new version keeps the basic premise and characters but is a lot tougher and edgier than the comics.

In the Archie comic book Archie the main character is average high school kid who plays football and  is a tortured musician. His friend group includes Betty Cooper and Jughead Jones. The friends help solve mysteries that are happening in the town of Riverdale.

The creator of the TV show is Roberto Aquirre -Sacasa.  Roberto worked on Nightcrawler, The Stand, and  Marvel Knights.

Riverdale is intended for high school students or young adults, who enjoy drama and mystery.

The new show is a bit darker or rougher than the all-American comic that inspired it.

Riverdale is a small quiet town or at least it was. Until the murder of Jason Blossom. Who was a popular high school student and the son of the most powerful family in Riverdale.

Season 1 started with learning the characters and is full of drama with trying to find out who killed Jason,  Archie having a relationship with his high school music teacher (Ms. Grundy),and typical high school entanglements. At the end of season 1 Archie’s dad is shot by a masked man with green eyes, which puts the entire town on the edge. As the season continues more drama comes with the return of the mysterious Hermione Lodge, who is fresh out of jail, and the murder of Ms. Grundy.

Season 2 starts with Archie’s dad getting shot in the diner. Also the character of the “Black Hood” is introduced and he terrorizes the town. With this going on Archie and his football buddies form a group and call themselves the “Red Circle.” Which is basically a glorified neighborhood watch. While this is going on there is also new drug circulating called “Jingle Jangle” which looks like a pixie-stick.

What will happen next? Watch and find out.