A Man Of Music: Ian Schultz

A Man Of Music: Ian Schultz

All Cotter students have seen him, whether it was in the halls before he graduated, or walking through the choir or band room, or even during one of the many choir concerts he’s been a part of at Winona State University. Ian Schultz, sophomore at Winona State University, is enjoying the college life as much as possible, while studying Music Education with an emphasis in Vocal music and Piano.

For many, music is a force that moves you, shows you what to do, and how to live your life. For Ian Schultz, music has done just that. After beginning to lay piano in grade school, Schultz knew that music was the life for him. “Music is something that you are pulled to,” stated Schultz in a recent interview. “There are certain things that you hear or see that draw you in, and to me, that was music. Almost every teacher and musician I have met have helped me in some way and thats why I am moved to be a music teacher.”

Throughout the years of climbing the ranks, learning more about his love of music, and winning award after award during his high school years, Schultz came to a decision all must face at sometime, which college was right for him. Looking at such places as Saint Mary’s in Winona, Luther College, and UW – Eau Claire, finding the right school seemed to be the most important decision of his life. After much contemplation, with thoughts of staying in town, plus giving him an enticing scholarship, Schultz decided that Winona State University was his calling. Plus, it only helped that the college has an amazing education and music department.

Before he even stepped foot on campus, Schultz had an idea of what he would like to do for the rest of his life, never even taking a second look, he was being called to a life of music education. Of all the majors that are offered at WSU, what drove Schultz to majoring in music education? “You major in what you love. I love music so I had to decide if I wanted to teach Band or Choir. I chose choir and thats where I am. Always major in what makes you happy and you’ll have a full time hobby someday, instead of a job.” Music education is no walk in the park, in itself, it already is a double major, one in music studies, and the other in the education field.

Music has made up a great deal of his life, but, that wasn’t the only job he’s had a call for since childhood. “Every kid wanted to be a fireman and race car driver, but I wanted to be a pumpkin truck driver. Just be a farmer and live simply.”

After two years of living the college life, Schultz is now in the college groove. Though he may not live on campus, there are still many activities going on for all students. Not only is there lots of things to participate in, but the life of a college student is also very freeing. “You can go to class, not go to class, go to half the class, and you aren’t going to get yelled at. You may suffer because of it, but you are an adult and that’s your issue.”

Along with having lots of participation opportunities and the freedom of living life how you would like to live it, there are also schooling advantages. “The best part about going to college is you get to meet people who are just like you! (Scary, I know!) Once you get out of the Gen. Ed Classes you get to finally start pursuing what you love to do.” Unfortunately, you must get your “Gen Eds” out of the way beforehand. “ I sucked at math, I still suck at math, and I will always suck at math, but I had to take a math class just like everyone else.”

Though Schultz has been going through the rigorous life of a double majoring college student for two years now, nothing has stopped him from returning back to his roots at Cotter High School now and again. Ian Schultz can be seen walking around the Cotter campus, doing such jobs as the Jr. High Choir Accompanist, Choir/Band Solo Ensemble Accompanist, Jr. High Musical Accompanist, and also the Assistant Marching Band Director for the High School Marching Band.

Though he’s only halfway through his college experience, he already has a plan for afterwards. Watch out Ms. Snyder, because Schultz is planning on coming back to Cotter, and taking over as the Cotter choir teacher.

While looking back on his years at Cotter High School, what Schultz remembers most would be our fabulous band and choir program, and the relationships that are formed between classmates and teachers. “It’s a small school and everyone is welcomed with open arms. That’s why Cotter is a family.” While there are many things that stand out in his mind, there are some specific memories that are in the forefront of his mind. “Every band trip has a memory that has stuck with me. Show Choir trips, watching Mr. Donlin army crawl up the stairs after the senior prank, Mr. Smith’s ‘knee bounces’, etc. There are too many to count.”

With graduation looming over our heads, for some, it may be scary, but for others, such as Ian Schultz, it’s a fresh start, and a way to look back on the past and remember our years here at Cotter.