Speech team’s season ends at sections

After a season filled with growth and success, the speech team’s season ended in Byron on Saturday, April 5,  with  no one advancing to the state level competition.

The team, which has 17 members ranging from eighth graders to seniors, advanced a large group to sections, so there was disappointment when the no one moved on.

The team members are as follows: eighth graders James Galke and Cecilia Welch, freshman  Aidan Beckman, David French, Noah French, Jacob French, Henry Reilly, Gabe Tullis, Nick Beranak, and Tim Welch, sophomores  Albert Oh, JJ Corn, and Scarlett Han, juniors Jenn Beranek and Kristina Makoova, and seniors Daniel Parlin and Caleb Forst.

The team had 12 people advance to sections in 10 different categories. The people that qualified for sections were Adian Beckman, Tim Welch, David French, Jacob Frech, Henry Reilly, Jen Beranek, Noah French, Kristina Makoova, Cecilia Welch, Caleb Forst and Daniel Parlin, and JJ Corn.

They competed in the categories Great Speeches, Humorous, Extemporaneous Speaking, Extemporaneous Reading, Discussion, Duo Interpretation, Informative Speaking, Poetry, Storytelling, and Original Oratory.

The amount of time that goes into each speech varies depending on the person. Each member meets with a coach at least once a week and then practices on their own as much as they need too. As a whole team they have been practicing once a week every week since January.

Amy French, one of the coache said, “The season was great.  Each student improved from the beginning until now.  We are very proud of each and every one of them.”

,“ The nice part about speech is there is no restriction to when the season begins, and to when coaches can work with the team members.  Preparation for the 2014-2015 season can really begin right after State in two weeks…and some of our students are already beginning to think about what they want to choose for a topic or piece for next season,” added Coach French.