Urban Plunge weekend proves to be powerful experience

High school students ofteh hear about the real world.  In November members of Cotter’s Cross Cultural Ministry project (CCMP)  took a trip up to the Twin Cities to experience it through an Urban  Plunge weekend.

The Plunge is an annual event designed to give the  students a greater understanding and awareness of the challenges facing the poor and disadvantaged in the twin cities.

CCMP seeks to enrich the lives of its participants by affirming the call to Christian service through ministry to others. 19 students and 3 teachers attended the November Urban Plunge in Minneapolis.

The first Day, they volunteered at Dress for Success.  According to the organization’s homepage “Dress for Success Twin Cities is a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of women located in the Twin Cities area. The professional clothing, employment retention programs and ongoing support we provide our clients symbolize our faith in every woman’s ability to be self-sufficient and successful in her career.”

On the second day, the group volunteered at Second Harvest Heartland, a homeless shelter and a thrift store. Second Harvest Heartland mission is solving the problem of hunger. Second Harvest is “one of the largest and most efficient food banks in the United States.”

At night they stayed at the Russ Ewald Center for Service. “The highlight of this trip was conversing with Robert Wright III. He is a formerly homeless man who shared his story with the Cotter group.

“He shared how he got out of poverty and homelessness and how we can help others who may be in similar situations,” said Nathan Graff.

One of the group leaders was Ms.O’Keefe. She said the trip was a great chance to get to know students  that she doesn’t normally teach and she really enjoyed all of time they got to spend together.

Despite the wonderful experience the group had, there are still some difficulties for the planners.

Marisa Corcoran, the lead organizer and chaperone, said “The hardest part about planning the trip is when students aren’t fully committed. Then I have to track them down and get a confirmation if they are going or not.”

For students who feel they missed out, don’t worry there’s another trip coming up on February 27– March 1. The cost is $125 per person and you can earn 15 hours community services through the plunge. Please see Mrs. Corcoran or e-mail her.

Take the plunge!

phpSrJHPRPM

10 Reasons to Join CCMP:

1. Why not? You’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain!

2. It is so much FUN!

3. Travel to a new place and experience a different culture.

4. Grow in your faith and learn more about Jesus.

5. Challenge yourself and go outside your comfort zone.

6. Make a difference in someone’s life.

7. Gain new perspective on another population or culture OUTSIDE of the classroom.

8. It is a meaningful way to complete your service hours for Religion class and help out

in Winona, too.

9. Make new friends and strengthen current friendships.

10. Get to know teachers OUTSIDE of the classroom.