Cotter announces AAA award winners

CeeJay Shaffner and Hannah Spiten were named Cotter’s AAA award winners for 2013-14 and will move on to the section competition.

AAA stands for arts, athletics and academics and three female and three male finalists were chosen from the senior class.  The other finalists were Hannah Kosel, Courtney Pelissero, Matt Schrupp and Caleb Forst.

The awards were presented by Mrs.Carpenter, Mr Uribe and Sr. Judy at an all school assembly, Tuesday, December 17.

The Academics, Arts, and Athletics award also known as the Triple “A” award was established in 1988, and is sponsored by the Minnesota State High School League. This award is for students who have been succeeding in academics, sports, and in arts. The award is only for seniors and they must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher, must have participated in both League-sponsored arts and athletics, along with complying with the MSHSL Student Code of Conduct.

Based on the requirements, numerous students were qualified for this award and the committee representing the three areas narrowed it down to three boys and three girls.

Mrs. Carpenter had this to say about the two winners: “CeeJay Schaffner is an amazing kid, generous friend, family, community member, exceptional student in the classroom and a tireless leader and worker on the playing field.  Any team who is fortunate to have him on the team is already a step ahead in their competitions. CeeJay Schaffner has earned varsity letters in many sports including soccer, basketball, and tennis. The titles that he has earned are captain, Rambler Award, All-Conference and many others. He is even credited for the growth and the existence of Cotter’s varsity soccer team. CeeJay in advance had been the student of the year as a sophomore, has an excellent GPA of 3.9, and has dedicated in the community and will become an Eagle Scout this year. “

“Hannah Spiten is a terrific young lady who is greatly respected by her teammates. Players of all ages feel comfortable with Hannah because of her kindness and willingness to help others.” Hannah Spiten is the only female athlete in the senior class who participates in 3 varsity sports: volleyball, basketball, and softball. She has earned multiple letters and has been a starter for all three sports. She has participated in a lot of activities music wise for three years: concert choir, show choir, and the divas. She is a beautiful singer and has also been a part of the fall musical. Another comment for Hannah would be from Mrs. Snyder and said “Hannah is truly a beautiful person inside and out and has the ability to get others fired up and involved as well.”

The section 1A winners will be announced in March.