International Dinner: A Protein Filled Success

Cotter’s 2014 semi-annual international dinner displayed  delicious arrangements from four of Cotter’s broad international lineup.

Students from Japan, Mexico, Korea, and Thailand prepared selections from their home cuisines, which were ravenously devoured by the Cotter staff.

Japan’s station, hosted by the exchange students from Okinawa’s Okisho school, meticulously prepared platters of handmade sushi. However, their attempts of crafting one of Japan’s most iconic dishes fell apart in front of them, literally. The rice, prepared by the dinner staff, ended up far too dry for sushi material. The tuna, as well, became the bane of people’s breath all over the IRC. Despite these problems, it was still incredibly delicious and certainly took a lot of hard work to prepare.

Mexico, hosted by Miguel Jauregui and his Vietnamese friend Tri Duong Nguyen, prepared two fancy dishes – a stewed shrimp soup, and some sort of bagged chicken, cooked in its own juices. It was delicious to the point that Moldovan student Patricia Ambros managed to consume five bowls before the end of the night.

Korea, hosted in jostling fashion by what seemed to be a challenge to the adage about “too many cooks”, prepared kimchi fried rice, a relatively simple dish that still managed to burst with flavor. They also prepared a cinnamon ginger punch, served cold. Despite being sweet and refreshing, taking anything larger than a sip felt like the Cinnamon Challenge — to swallow a tablespoon of cinnamon in 60 seconds without any water. They certainly weren’t lying when they said it was a ‘Cinnamon Drink’.

Thailand, the last station, hosted by Pumin “PJ” Champathin and proud American Sam Carter, prepared a hit-and-miss curried chicken skewer. Despite having over two-hundred chicken skewers prepared, it was quickly consumed and emptied out. Students complained of its smell, which seemed unpalatable to palettes accustomed to American cuisine, and talked down of the rich curried flavor. Strangely, it seemed to be the most popular dish at the event.

With appetizers finished, students and staff headed downstairs to the cafeteria. Here, the chefs prepared a delicious spread of spiced protein. Mussels, chicken, beef skewers, and more were piled high on everyone’s plates, and was more than satisfactory. The evening ended afterwards, and the crowd trickled out, taking with them memories of the delicious evening, and leaving behind a mountain of trash for the poor resident volunteers to clean up after.