Cotter runners shine at Vern Herman Invitational!

On April 22, Cotter High School track team competed at the  Planview track meet where  where some team and individual records fell.

The meet officially started at 4 pm for throwers and continued to the start of running events at 4:30 pm. Cotter High School runners  went into the meet with strong expectations after having several meets cancelled due to weather.

“I am little bit anxious right now as well as nervous, hopefully it will go well,” said freshman Elizabeth Duellman, priorto the meet.

“I am really excited to run today,” Beth Parlin, sophomore and one one of the top sprinters,  said. Parlin also runs hurdles and 200 meter dash.

“ I am nervous a lot, I hope will do alright, I am running only one event and it is not until later,” Song Hee Hyoung, junior, said.

The coaches were being optimistic, although windy conditions had them concerned about the results:

” I think the wind will slow down some of the runners today and slightly affect their results, I would not be worried about the sprinters as much as about the long distance runners,” said one of the coaches.

However,  conditions and colder weather, the meet was a success. Lots of spectators were present standing around the track and cheering on their friends or children encouraging them to the better.

After the races, coaches as well as the contestants appeared to be satisfied with results.

“ I feel like I did not do my very best today, but it feels very nice to be done, hopefully I can do even better next time,” Duellman said.

“I ran an OK 400 and 200 today. I did well in my 200 hundred races,” Nicholas Beranek, freshman, said.

Coach Erin Gervais and coach Jewison thought positively of the meet.

“At that point of the season, we do not have very high expectations yet, “ said Gervais.

According to her, the  highlight of the meet was the sprint medley . Runners for medley were Matt Shrupp, Christine Young, Leah Koll and Colin Duellman and they took the first place as a team. In accordance with unofficial results, there were some personal records broken by Cotter track runners. Jane Koll had a very good meet; she ended up being second in 100 hurdles and broke her PR in triple jump. She placed fourth in 300 hurdles.

Andrew Fratzke broke his personal record in 300s, and Matt Schrupp and Christine Young both broke their PR in 800s, both taking first place in their respective races.