Jack Vaselaar: all-time Winona wrestling wins leader goes out in style

Senior wrestler, Jack Vaselaar, ended a long and distinguished  high school career by earning his 150th career win at the Minnesota State wrestling tournament.

For the second year in a row, Vaselaar made it to state for wrestling and placed 5th in his division after winning the section 1AAA tournament at Mayo Civic center. Although he was hoping for a higher placing than fifth at state, he never failed to show his persistence, drive, and talent.

“I obviously didn’t finish the way I wanted to but I finished top 5 in a very tough bracket. The state tournament was not my best tournament I had this year, I lost a tough match to a kid who I lost to in overtime earlier in the year. Overall I wrestled well but not as well as I wanted,” Vaselaar said.

Jack Vaselar wrestles Austin Hammel at Class AAA sections tournament. (Winona Daily News photo)

It is no surprise that Jack always pushes himself to improve, given that he has been called “iron man” and “extremely hard working” by coaches and peers. Earlier this year, Jack broke the record at Winona Senior High School for career wins with 133 victories and counting.

“I never really focused on that milestone until I got close to it, and once I passed it I kinda just forgot about and tried to focus on the rest of the season” said Vaselaar.

And that he did, increasing the career record with 17 more wins!

Jack has been a part of the wrestling team throughout all of his years of high school and has had many highlights along the way.

Jack Vaselaar at practice. (photo by Winona Daily News)

“I think think the biggest moment that I will remember will be state my junior year because I came in as the underdog and came out taking third. That was a big confidence booster for me going into my senior season. Another highlight was sections my freshman year when I pinned my way through sections to advance to state.”

Although Jack’s high school career has come to an end, his wrestling career has not. Jack plans to wrestle at Augsburg University in Minneapolis and is looking forward to the experience.

After many matches, victories, and highlights, Jack Vaselaar had an outstanding high school wrestling career and not only left a very tough record to beat, but also his own legacy.