Ms. Flagstad enjoying her first year

Ms. Flagstad enjoying her first year

It’s January, the cold is frigid, the mornings are early, and Ms.Flagstad, in her first year at Cotter, is ready to start her new classes and continue teaching biology.

Sarah Flagstad grew up in the small town of Hinckley, Minn., and attended her hometown elementary and high schools.

This is her third year teaching students in some capacity, having previous experiences  being a lifeguard and teaching swimming lessons.

“I was nervous at first when I heard I got the job.” Flagstad said. “I thought the students may not like me or I wouldn’t be able to connect with them, but that went away as time went on.”

Flagstad graduated from North Dakota State with a degree in biology, one of the courses she is currently teaching at Cotter. She also taught at a school in Pinerville before coming to Winona. Her philosophy of teaching students is to give them more “hands-on” work to do instead of her just lecturing the whole time. “I think it helps them learn the concepts better and also helps with paying attention.”

Ms.Flagstad absolutely loves the outdoors. She enjoys hiking, camping, and any other activity that involves being outside.

She plans on staying here at Cotter as long as they want her to. “The campus is beautiful, the students are eager to learn, and the staff is very kind and helpful. I have nothing to complain about, this is a great place to be and a great place to work in.”